Monday 20 May 2024

Restraint with the bass

After two consecutive fast songs with very active, involved bass guitar parts, it feels a bit strange to have the instrument back in a supporting role for "Look and See".  This mostly meant having it much less prominent in the mix than it's been in a while - when I first imported the stems, I found they completely swamped the drums!  As with (yet again) "Modern Art", I opted to use the amplifier rather than the DI.

I ended up combining elements of two very different takes here.  The first is a straightforward reading of the part, and the second is, as Bruno put it, "less surgical".  I found that there were points where the expressiveness of the latter take adds welcome warmth to the sound, but others where it just sounds intrusive.

In theory, the song could be considered complete now, as there is no guitar at all in the Escapade or Escapade 2 version of this one.  However, the "decrescendo" I envisioned, as anticipated, doesn't quite come off yet.  With some acoustic guitar to thicken the texture early on, I think it will.

No comments:

Post a Comment