Wednesday 17 April 2024

"Move over, Rover..."

I feel that "One of My Goof Attacks" is evolving into a bridge of sorts between the more light-hearted proto-hard rock of Cream and the rawer, darker tones of the Jimi Hendrix Experience.  The influence of the former is of course felt in the vocal harmonies, but the guitar work, in which the riffage and solo alike are treated with a special gritty flair, is pure Hendrix.  In the case of the solo, I transcribed the one in the Escapade 2 version right up to the point where I remember running out of ideas, and indicated that the rest should be improvised.  The result ends with a noise that, if I were to hear it out of context, I'd probably think was from one of those posthumous Hendrix albums I still have yet to hear.

The drums turned out a lot of fun.  I mixed them with a longer reverb time than I might otherwise have done, the better for them to offset the organ in the coda.  This in turn guided my decision to offset that by having only light reverb on the guitar.

No comments:

Post a Comment